Sen. Cruz: Congress Stands with Israel Against Hamas
Congress unanimously passes Cruz-Gillibrand-Manchin Resolution to condemn the use of human shields in Gaza
December 11, 2014
WASHINGTON, DC -- The U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed the Senate resolution co-sponsored by U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York, and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, to condemn the use of civilians as human shields by the terrorist group, Hamas.
“This week Republicans and Democrats from both the House and Senate have sent an unequivocal message to the world: we uphold Israel’s right to self-defense and condemn Hamas’ barbaric use of civilians as human shields. It is unconscionable that Israel, which goes to extraordinary lengths to prevent civilian casualties, is singled out for condemnation by the United Nations while Hamas’ vicious, cruel actions are ignored,” said Sen. Cruz.
“I thank my colleagues in both chambers for their support of Israel, and I hope that leaders around the world will unite with Congress and denounce Hamas’ acts of terror.”
Sen. Cruz's resolution:
- Strongly condemns the use of innocent civilians as human shields;
- Calls on the international community to recognize and condemn Hamas’ use of human shields;
- Places responsibility for the rocket attacks against Israel on Hamas and other terrorist organizations, such as Palestine Islamic Jihad;
- Supports the sovereign right of the Government of Israel to defend its territory and its citizens from Hamas’ rocket attacks, kidnapping attempts and the use of tunnels and other means to carry out attacks against Israel;
- Expresses condolences to the families of the innocent victims on both sides of the conflict;
- Supports Palestinian civilians who reject Hamas and all forms of terrorism and violence, desiring to live in peace with their Israeli neighbors;
- Supports efforts to demilitarize the Gaza Strip, removing Hamas’ means to target Israel, including its use of tunnels, rockets, and other means; and
- Condemns the United Nations Human Rights Council’s biased resolution establishing a commission of inquiry into Israel’s Gaza operations.