Senate Unites to Denounce Hamas and Support Israel
Senate unanimously passes Cruz-Gillibrand-Manchin Resolution to condemn the use of human shields in Gaza
December 10, 2014
WASHINGTON, DC -- A resolution co-sponsored by U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York, and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia unanimously passed the Senate yesterday to condemn the use of civilians as human shields by the terrorist group, Hamas.
"The Senate has sent a united signal that we denounce Hamas' barbaric tactics and unequivocally support Israel's right to self-defense," said Sen. Cruz. "Even though Republicans and Democrats may be divided on many issues, there should be no daylight between us when it comes to standing up to radical Islamic terrorists including Hamas. I hope the international community will join America in condemning their deplorable use of human shields, which is a war crime. I thank my colleagues for their affirmation of our unshakable bond with the nation of Israel. We look forward to the passage of this resolution in the House or Representatives, where it has been led by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Florida and Rep. Ted Deutch, D-Florida and has 102 co-sponsors."
Sen. Cruz's resolution:
- Strongly condemns the use of innocent civilians as human shields;
- Calls on the international community to recognize and condemn Hamas' use of human shields;
- Places responsibility for the rocket attacks against Israel on Hamas and other terrorist organizations, such as Palestine Islamic Jihad;
- Supports the sovereign right of the Government of Israel to defend its territory and its citizens from Hamas' rocket attacks, kidnapping attempts and the use of tunnels and other means to carry out attacks against Israel;
- Expresses condolences to the families of the innocent victims on both sides of the conflict;
- Supports Palestinian civilians who reject Hamas and all forms of terrorism and violence, desiring to live in peace with their Israeli neighbors;
- Supports efforts to demilitarize the Gaza Strip, removing Hamas' means to target Israel, including its use of tunnels, rockets, and other means; and
- Condemns the United Nations Human Rights Council's biased resolution establishing a commission of inquiry into Israel's Gaza operations.