Sen. Cruz works to ensure Texas communities have what they need to prepare, recover, and rebuild when severe weather hits. If you need information or assistance when dealing with severe weather, please do not hesitate to contact our office or utilize the federal and state resources listed below.
Important Tips to Know Before a Disaster Strikes
- Heed weather warnings of federal, state, and local officials to ensure utmost safety.
- Make an emergency communication plan: where to go, what to do, and how to reconnect.
- Make sure you know your community’s evacuation plan and evacuation routes.
- Collect and safeguard critical financial, medical, educational, and legal documents and records.
- Pack an emergency kit, including items such as water, food, flashlight, medications, and a cellphone charger.
- Know where your gas and water shutoff valve and electrical shutoff are located.
- Protect your pets by making an emergency plan and kit for them.
- Make sure you have flood insurance.
- Avoid driving on flooded roads and never attempt to drive across flooded roadways.
Disaster Preparedness Resources
- For tips and resources on disaster preparedness, visit Ready.gov.
- To learn how to prepare for natural disasters in Texas, visit TexasReady.gov and the Texas Hurricane Center.
- For live Texas weather alerts and updates, visit the National Weather Service.
- To learn how to prepare for all types of emergencies and natural disasters through the American Red Cross, visit here.
- For more weather safety tips and resources through the National Weather Service, click here.
- For information on road closures through the Texas Department of Transportation, visit here.
- To learn about the National Flood Insurance Program, click here or call 800-427-4661.
- To learn about flood insurance through the Texas Department of Insurance, click here.
- To learn about the State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry (STEAR), a registry that assists constituents with needs in the community, visit here.
- To download the FEMA app to receive weather alerts and preparedness tips, click here.
Sens. Cruz, Cornyn, Rep. Cloud Applaud FEMA Funding for Corpus Christis Packery Channel Restoration Project in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey
Sens. Cruz, Tillis, Colleagues Introduce Disaster Relief Legislation to Mark the Start of the 2021 Hurricane Season